Since I started my lifestyle change, I decided to use one of the suggestions I keep reading: eat smaller meals more often. I’ve figured out my BMR (basal metabolic rate) is 1735 for the day at my current weight of 226.6lb. That means, if I divide that by 6 meals a day, I should eat an average of 289 calories a meal – or to simplify remembering, a 300 calorie meal.
I have to tell you, I’m not a fan of trying to limit my meals to such low calories. I mean, when I can easily blow over 700 calories in some of my favorite take out meals, you can see the why of my reasoning. Not to mention, I don’t always find it easy to fit the 5 food groups into such a low-calorie meal.
However, this recipe I’m going to share with you hits all the food groups (provided you add a slice of toast to the meal…) Check out the Monster Omelet!
It is just so fantastic, it makes me feel like I’m eating one of those huge IHOP omelets… you know what I mean.
With tons of egg whites and plenty of veggies to boost, this really packs a punch in the flavor and fullness department. It even leaves you extra calories if you so choose to use them. Regardless, it’s delish:
- 1 egg
- ½ cup egg whites
- 1 wedge Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb Cheese, diced
- ¼ cup chopped or shredded spinach
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- ⅛ cup onions
- ¼ cup red, yellow, or orange peppers
- Salt, pepper or my favorite – Adobo, to taste
- Pam or olive oil to spray pan
- Preheat pan.
- Beat the egg and the egg whites together with salt, pepper, or Adobo.
- Spray pan and add egg mixture.
- Cook eggs til set on one side.
- Flip egg and sprinkle egg with diced cheese.
- Top with remaining vegetables.
- Close omelet and cook till outside set. Enjoy!
The veggies in my monster omelet photo are a little excessive, because I chopped a ton extra today, so yours may not look as full. However, nothing is stopping you from adding more nutrition to your omelet, too!
Tell me, what’s your favorite under 300 calorie meal?